Monday, October 7, 2013

When Searching for a Job, Accept Discrimination as a Potential Norm

I've ramped up my job searching. I'm looking for a product marketing or brand management role for a multinational company in the fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG, a.k.a. "consumer packaged goods" here in the States) space. Fortunately, there are a couple of LinkedIn groups specifically focused on these kinds of jobs. I get daily updates from these groups. A new job is posted to the group nearly every other day, so I'm optimistic that I'll find something.

However, actually getting my foot in the door may not be as easy as it seems.

Here's an example of a job posting. While not along the career nor industry path I want to walk, it's a telling sign that Vietnam seems to approach hiring a bit differently.

"We're looking for Talent Development Manager /Training Manager (building materials) based in HCMC, Vietnamese only, 33-40 years old. Salary range: 50-55 mio (gross), ..."

It was sobering to read the 'Vietnamese only,' and '33-40 years old' part.

I realized that what I would view as blatant discrimination in the US may just be regular habits in Vietnam. I'll have to get accustomed to the fact that I'm an outsider operating under a completely different set of rules. I can't get too angsty if I feel like I'm hitting brick wall after brick wall because of things outside of my resume.

While I may have some positive characteristics that may help me in my search (native English speaker, MBA, working knowledge of the Vietnamese language and culture), I'm not Vietnamese, I'm not exactly the prototypical American/Westerner (i.e. I don't have white skin), and I don't have the familial nor personal relationships that could help me get an interview.

I'll continue applying to jobs while I'm here. My job hunting will probably pick up more once I'm in the country.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy. This reminds me of what my sister-in-law is going through. She moved to China (keep forgetting if it is Beijing or Shanghai) bc of husband's job. The job postings over there include physical feature requirements as well. Lame.

    Good luck, sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Best of luck to your sister-in-law. If she hasn't already, then perhaps she could visit LinkedIn to see if there are any groups related to her field of interest. Hopefully she'll have more luck with multinational companies that may be in line with more familiar hiring practices.

      Delete
  2. Jesse,

    Did you try to contact Tri Tran about your trip? I haven't been in touch with him for awhile but I think he spends a lot of his time working in Vietnam. Maybe he might have some connections or can give a few tips?

    I knew someone who tried to get a job teaching English in Korea but he was barely accepted because he wasn't full Caucasian (he is half Caucasian and half Korean). I guess since it was a teaching job, they want to make sure you know your "English" or appear to be so. Overall, stereo-typing is typical in Asia countries.

    Best of luck my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I did reach out to Tri. He just moved back to the States and took a job in Cali. We didn't get to far into the job conversation, but I'll reach out to him again to pick his brain.

      Delete