Monday, September 30, 2013

Getting More Krav Teaching Experience


My experience teaching Krav will be better were I to go in with more experience teaching Krav here at home. Thus, I've been requesting to take on more responsibility during the classes that I co-teach.

Typically a co-teacher is like a T.A. in a college class. You might hear them chime in from time to time or seek their assistance while trying to figure out a difficult concept. For a co-teacher to move up the responsibility ladder, they have to prove themselves capable of managing and executing the most basic parts of a Krav class.

Most recently, the leadership team at Krav Maga Renton have been kind enough to let me toss myself into the deep end and teach a few classes on my own, thereby blasting through various parts of standard instructor apprentice curriculum. One instructor allowed me to sub for her Women's Krav and Intro Krav classes, both of which were successful experiences.

Through these classes I've been able to get a better understanding and feel for the different types of people I will encounter in Vietnam. As fun as they are, a rigorous class isn't for everyone, and they can sometimes discourage people from practicing. Being more aware and conscientious of the different physical and emotional limits of even a small batch of students will help me create a better curriculum when I'm in Vietnam.

My end goal for these classes are to increase the health and emotional well-being of these young women. If that means creating a much less intensive course first, then so be it. We can always ramp up as they progress in their training.

The teachers at KMR have been very helpful in providing the guidance and coaching I need to become a better teacher, both here and abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment