Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Prostitution Investigation Recap (HCMC, Dec 30, 2013)

My report to Fr. Martino and OBV leadership about my undercover prostitution investigation in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, conducted on Monday, December 30, 2013.


Finding Location

  • While Fr. Martino was getting checked-in at the airport, Phu (driver) took a quick scouting drive in the area around the airport to see if there were any areas where prostitution might occur.
  • Once checked-in, Fr. Martino and I boarded the car, and Phu took us to an area close to the airport.
  • After 10min of driving around, we decided to check out Hotel Hoang An, a hotel that provides hourly rentals.

Entering Location

  • I played the role of Fr. Martino's foreign boss, and Fr. Martino played the roll of local employee for my company who was tasked with finding me a lady for the hour before my departing flight.
  • My instructions were that I was not allowed to speak Vietnamese, and that I was to get the basic information of my girl (name, age, and phone number)
  • Fr. Martino talked to the male attendant of the hotel, a man who looked to be in his early 40's. He explained our situation (as mentioned in the previous bullet) to the attendant.
  • The attended booked us two rooms, both to be used for an hour. He gave us instructions to go into one of the rooms and wait for him to bring in a girl for us to decide 'yes' or 'no.'
  • We enter my room, #102, and wait for the attendant to bring a girl. Fr. Martino explains that I'm to reject one or two so as to come across as picky, but that no matter what I am to eventually say 'yes' to an option.
  • Fr. Martino also instructs me to get her phone number.
  • After around five minutes, the attendant brings a first girl, and I decline.
  • After around another five minutes, the attendant brings in another girl, and I accept for the sake of time.
  • The girl I have picked is named "Kim." She does not speak English, save for she was able to tell me that she was 20 years old. Using pantomimes, I got her phone number: 0948612354.
  • Kim showered, presented a condom, and offered sexual services. I refused, much to her surprise and confusion.
  • After awkward stares and struggles around language barrier and innocuous flirting, the hour ended. I paid 800,000 for the fee, and 200,000 for the tip. She left after being paid.

Costs

  • 800,000 VND for the room and girl
  • 200,000 VND expected tip to the girl

Money provided by Fr. Martino - 500,000 VND
Money used from investigation budget - 500,000 VND (appx $25 USD)

Money remaining in investigation budget: $318 - 25 = $293 USD

Missed Opportunities

  • Not speaking Vietnamese limited my ability to capture more information
  • Not rejecting more girls to see if he would bring in younger girls for us to collect data on child prostitution in the area

Closing Thoughts

  • My investigation didn't yield too much in the way of helpful information about child prostitution.
  • We did confirm that prostitution of the regular kind exists in this area and that an hourly hotel could provide the services on demand.
  • A reputation with the attendant and a repeat visit might open up the opportunity for us to request younger girls. However, with the crackdown in underage prostitution and the demand for young girls in Cambodia, I'm not exactly sure we will be able to find much in the area.
  • I should speak some Vietnamese next time so as to make the most of our my hour with the woman. Since I won't partake in sexual services, speaking Vietnamese might help to reduce the confusion and create a more productive rapport

No comments:

Post a Comment